My 8800GT died and I got a HD5770 now

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My 8800GT died and I got a HD5770 now

Post  [CBS]Mickey on Tue May 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi all,

bad news right at the beginning: my lovely 8800GT passed away last week on Thursday Sad and I had to get rid of this problem very quickly.

I’m not a hardcore gamer who needs a dual CPU board with quad SLI capability just to be able to play every game with 2560x1600 resolution in ultrahigh quality and 8xAA/16xAF at 100+ fps. I have a low budget system consisting of an Athlon 64 X2 5600+ with 4 GB RAM and a widescreen monitor with 1920x1080 native resolution. I’m used to play UT3 on WinXP in high quality with 4xAA and 16xAF and this worked fine with my previous 8800GT on most UT3 maps.

Since I didn’t plan to upgrade my PC right now, I simply had to find a cheap video card solution with acceptable performance to get my PC fixed as soon as possible. Budget constraint: not more than 150 €. After studying the 50+ video card reviews and tests scattered around the net I made the decision that a HD5770 is a card which meets my requirements in terms of costs (about 140,- € with 1 GB memory) and graphics power and, by the way, low electrical power. O.K., you might ask who cares about electrical power? However, I do because I have 4 PCs running at home and thus every Watt counts Wink.

So, to put it on the table: For me, the HD5770 is convincing and it does exactly what I expected the card to do. Recalling all reviews, the card is slower than (but sometimes also comparable with) a HD4870/GTX260 and tops the GTS250. I estimated the average performance gain (compared to my 8800GT) by roughly 30% and I experienced this to hold true. All UT3 maps which were stuttering a bit with my 8800GT (40-50 fps) are now running very smoothly (60+ fps) with the above mentioned configuration (4xAA/16xAF/1920x1080). Furthermore, it wasn’t really fun to play Bioshock with the 8800GT and I stopped playing it for that reason. The HD5770 changed the situation dramatically. I never dropped below 60 fps when I tested it yesterday. That was impressive and I’ll give Bioshock a new try.

In this sense, after a very short 8 hour experience with this card, I agree with the statements of most of the dozens of existing web reviews. For me, it’s a fine card and worth its money, in particular when taking into account the amount of money I was willing to spend for a new video card (and considering some more card features I’m not talking about here). However, it’s not overwhelming. I bought this card due to an “emergency case” and with respect to a budget limitation. Retrospectively, my decision to replace the defect 8800GT by a HD5770 was very O.K. But, to all proud owners of a 8800GT or similar who consider a video card upgrade, think twice. In my opinion, this card is a good alternative only for less powerful cards than the 8800GT. All the others should be happy and save their money for a “big” upgrade. From my point of view, a performance gain of let’s say “only 30%” or so isn’t worth 140 € just to satisfy the “natural” need to upgrade because the last upgrade is already 6 months ago (which is - of course - a decade in the eyes of the real PC enthusiast) Wink.

Michael

Last edited by mike-da-sniper on Tue May 18, 2010 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

[CBS]Mickey
Godlike!
Godlike!

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2010-02-26

View user profile http://cbs-training.hightoxic.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: My 8800GT died and I got a HD5770 now

Post  [CBS]KillYa! on Tue May 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Hey Michael,

thank you for this review of your latest expirience with graphic cards, although you lost a good friend with your nvidia Sad

I read about your new card and took a look around too. Not so deep as you probably did, but to see what your new one
may bring up to your screen. I like to add a (german) link to a benchmark result and some other cards to compare it.

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/grafikkarten/xfx_ati_radeon_hd_5770/s09.php?benchmark=3dm06&lang=

No german needed to undestand it imho Smile

You will find that card in upper midrange segment, not beating up the top performers of course, but it took a good place in there anyway.

Thanks Micheal and have fun with your new card Exclamation

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Cheers!

I use

[CBS]KillYa!
Head Hunter
Head Hunter

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2007-09-21

View user profile http://cbs-team.net

Back to top Go down

8800GT died, tested HD5770, but finally going with a GTS 250

Post  [CBS]Mickey on Sun May 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi all again,

I briefly described my short term experience with a HD 5770 a few days ago. This former "report" was written before I have tested some graphics features with the HD 5770 which I was using all the time with my previous 8800GT: Antialiasing (AA). At the beginning, I didn't recognize the problem because I tested the ATI card on less AA sensitive maps like "Alpine" or so where missing AA it is not visible at first glance. But then I was very drastically faced with the AA problem when I played the LEGO map "Blockland". To sum it up: I wasn't able to get AA applied to UT3. Hanging around in the net I learned why.

The reason is (hit me if I'm wrong) that the ATI drivers are not able to use AA in DX10 unreal engine based games (like UT3) when running on XP and thus using DX9! On the other hand, the Nvidia drivers have a "standard hack" allowing AA with DX9 in the above mentioned DX10 games. Stupid reason, simple consequence. I kicked the HD 5770 out of my PC and bought - for budget reasons - a GTS 250. And I tell you, I'm happy again and I'm feeling good. Everything works fine, Blockland is fun to play, thanx revived AA, and the GTS 250 isn't so much slower than the HD 5770. Even Bioshock is playable with 60+ fps and 4xAA at 1920x1080.

So, if your OS is XP (and I'll keep it for a while because Win7 is too expensive in the moment to replace XP on our 4 family PCs) and if you want play UT3 in an eyecandy quality: stay with Nvidia or u r lost.

Michael

[CBS]Mickey
Godlike!
Godlike!

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2010-02-26

View user profile http://cbs-training.hightoxic.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: My 8800GT died and I got a HD5770 now

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down